Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Better? Yes indeed!

I know it's not Flashback Friday yet, but hey, remember Boyzone? That's okay, no one else does either, but they were an Irish boy band on the early crest of the pop wave back in the 90s. Like many pop acts from that time (and, well, all the time), they were much more successful in Europe than in America, but I do remember hearing about them when one of their members, Stephen Gately, came out.

Like some other boybands, they've been in the midst of a reunion. In the video for their new single, "Better," while the other members croon at women, Gately sings to a man. Embedding's been disabled, but check it out here.

So, that's kind of cool, right? I mean, it's less groundbreaking than it would be if an up-and-coming boy band did it, but there are no up-and-coming boy bands (more's the pity, and no, the Jonas Brothers do not count), so I'll take what I can get.

The sad thing is that I can't get past how embarrassed I feel when older boy bands perform. Stop it! You're grownups! Go work on your 401ks and get prostate exams or something! I feel like I should be more open-minded, but 30somethings crooning boy band-style just makes me want to crawl under a rock and die. Even when they're crooning to very cute male actors.

No comments: